You may be asking, why do people do a nightly skincare routine? Well, a nightly skincare routine is essential for maintaining healthy and radiant skin.
Why do people do a nightly skincare routine?
This post may contain affiliate links and Jenna Haith Lifestyle (JHL) may be compensated for your clicks or purchases from said links. As an Amazon Associate, JHL will earn from qualifying purchases.
There are a few reasons why people might do a nightly skincare routine:
- To remove dirt, oil, and makeup: During the day, our skin can become exposed to dirt, oil, and other impurities that can clog pores and lead to skin irritation and blemishes. A nightly skincare routine can help remove these impurities, leaving the skin feeling clean and refreshed.
- To nourish and moisturize the skin: Nighttime is a great time to apply moisturizers and other products that can help nourish and hydrate the skin. These products can help repair and restore the skin while we sleep, leaving it looking and feeling smoother and more youthful in the morning.
- To prevent aging: Many people use anti-aging products at night, as this is when the skin is most receptive to repairing and rejuvenating itself. These products can help reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging.
- To promote relaxation: Taking the time to do a skincare routine can be a soothing and relaxing activity that can help reduce stress and promote a sense of well-being.
What should I know before starting a skincare routine?
Before starting a nighttime skincare routine, there are a few things you should consider:
- Determine your skin type: Knowing your skin type is important because it will help you choose the right products for your needs. If you have dry skin, you may need to use more moisturizing products, while those with oily skin may benefit from products that help control excess oil.
- Choose the right products: Select products that are appropriate for your skin type and concerns. Look for products that are non-irritating and suitable for your skin. If you have sensitive skin, it may be helpful to choose products that are formulated for sensitive skin.
- Follow a consistent routine: It is important to follow a consistent skincare routine every night to get the best results. This means cleansing, toning, and moisturizing every night, and using any other products as recommended.
- Be gentle: Avoid scrubbing or rubbing your skin too aggressively, as this can irritate and damage the skin. Instead, use gentle circular motions when cleansing and apply products with a light touch.
- Don’t skip the sunscreen: Even if you aren’t going outside during the day, it is important to use sunscreen to protect your skin from the harmful effects of the sun. Choose a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and apply it every morning.
It is important to choose the right products for your skin type and to follow a consistent skincare routine to help keep your skin healthy and glowing.
Steps for a nightly skincare routine
When starting your skincare routine, no matter if it’s your nightly skincare or morning skincare routine, having a skincare headband can help a lot by making sure your hair or any fly-aways don’t get in the way when putting any product on your face!
Step 1: Remove your makeup
The first step in your nightly skincare routine should be to remove your makeup.
This is important for cleaning your skin and removing impurities that can clog your pores and cause breakouts.
Jenna’s Top Pick: My favorite makeup remover wipes are the neutrogena makeup remover wipes! If you want an oil based makeup remover, the best makeup remover for that would be the garnier micellar cleansing water!
To remove your makeup, you can use a makeup remover, micellar water, or oil-based cleanser.
Gently massage the product into your skin, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Step 2: Cleanse your skin
After you have removed your makeup, you should cleanse your skin to remove any remaining impurities and excess oil.
To do this, you can use a gentle cleanser that is suited to your skin type.
Apply the cleanser to your damp skin, and then massage it in using circular motions. Rinse the cleanser off with lukewarm water, and pat your skin dry with a clean towel.
Step 3: Exfoliate your skin
Exfoliating your skin is an important step in your nightly skincare routine, as it helps to remove dead skin cells and unclog your pores.
This can help to improve the texture and tone of your skin, and can also help your other skincare products to penetrate more deeply and work more effectively.
Jenna’s Top Pick: My favorite exfoliating cleanser is from the circadia skincare brand and it’s their micro-exfoliating honey cleanser!
To exfoliate your skin, you can use a physical or chemical exfoliator.
Be sure to use a gentle exfoliator that is suited to your skin type, and only exfoliate once or twice a week.
Step 4: Apply a toner
After you have cleansed and exfoliated your skin, you should apply a toner.
A toner can help to balance the pH of your skin, and can also help to remove any remaining impurities and prep your skin for the next steps in your routine.
Jenna’s Top Pick: My favorite toner pads are from barefaced skincare and it’s their barefaced toning pads!
To apply toner, you can either use a cotton pad or pour a small amount of toner into your hands and pat it onto your skin.
Allow the toner to fully absorb before moving on to the next step.
Step 5: Apply a serum
Serums are concentrated skincare products that are designed to target specific skin concerns, such as wrinkles, dullness, or uneven skin tone.
They are typically packed with active ingredients that can help to improve the appearance of your skin.
Jenna’s Top Pick: My favorite serum or gel to add under my moisturizer is from the face reality skincare brand. It’s their Hydrabalance hydrating gel!
To apply a serum, you should use a small amount and apply it to your face and neck using gentle tapping motions.
Allow the serum to fully absorb before moving on to the next step.
Step 6: Apply an eye cream
The skin around your eyes is delicate and can be prone to fine lines, dark circles, and puffiness.
To help protect and nourish this area, you should apply an eye cream as part of your nightly skincare routine.
To apply eye cream, use your ring finger to dab a small amount onto the skin around your eyes, starting from the inner corner and working your way outwards.
Be gentle and avoid pulling or tugging on the skin.
Step 7: Apply a moisturizer
Moisturizing your skin is essential for maintaining its hydration and elasticity.
A moisturizer can help to lock in moisture, protect your skin from environmental damage, and prevent dryness and flakiness.
Jenna’s Top Pick: My favorite night cream moisturizer is from tula skincare and it’s their Tula hydrating day and night moisturizing cream.
To apply a moisturizer, use a small amount and apply it to your face and neck using gentle
Overall Thoughts On A Nightly Skincare Routine
As you can tell, there is definitely a process to a nightly skincare routine. Having a routine helps you stay organized and make your skin healthy and glowing.
There are tons of products to choose from when it comes to skincare and having all those products can be a pain to organize on your counter or shelf!
Check out this awesome skincare organizer from Amazon that you’ll definitely need when you start your skincare routines!
Overall, a nightly skincare routine can help keep the skin looking and feeling healthy and youthful, and it can be a great way to relax and unwind before bed.
Comment your questions and experiences below! We would love to hear your insights!
Until next time…