More and more people are considering going out on their own and starting up their own businesses! This is great news as the entrepreneur community is growing each day with new ideas and fresh content for people to learn about.
However, one of the main reasons why people don’t start their own business or company is that they simply don’t know how!
But don’t fret, because I am here now to tell you how to do just that! Go out and be your own boss! And as Lizzo once said, “It’s About Damn Time!”
This post may contain affiliate links and Jenna Haith Lifestyle (JHL) may be compensated for your clicks or purchases from said links. As an Amazon Associate, JHL will earn from qualifying purchases.
Within this article, I’ll show you how to create your business from the very beginning and learn how you can grow and maintain it after you’ve launched it!
And before we get into it – I am solely speaking from experience here. I am in no way your accountant or financial assistant, I didn’t even graduate college with a business degree.
I graduated college with a marketing and psychology degree though which has helped me tremendously in my everyday life and also in my career!
For example, I started my own company Sparklight Solutions – a web development and digital marketing agency back in 2021 and have only seen it grow since!
I had no idea where to start, what to do for an LLC, what even an “LLC” was, how to manage a company, and little to no business background.
So, here we are now. I’ve not only developed my own LLC, but I also have several brands that are underneath the LLC that act as passive income to my business. For example, one of those brands is this exact site that you are on – Jenna Haith Lifestyle!
Feel free to visit my other brands, but let me preface that a few are still in the works!
So, let’s get into the beginning steps of how to start your own business.
What is a business?
As the dictionary would describe it, a business is an organization that provides goods or services in exchange for money. Businesses can be small, local operations or they can be large, multinational corporations.
The primary goal of most businesses is to earn a profit by providing goods or services that people need or want. Businesses can operate in a variety of industries, such as retail, manufacturing, technology, healthcare, and many others.
Starting a business requires a combination of planning, hard work, and determination, but the rewards of running a successful business can be significant.
Does it cost a lot of money to start your own business?
The cost of starting your own business can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the type of business you want to start, your location, and the resources you have available.
Some businesses can be started with very little upfront capital, while others may require significant investment.
It is important to carefully research and plan your business before starting a business so that you can understand the potential costs and determine whether or not you have the resources to get your business off the ground.
It may also be helpful to seek advice from other entrepreneurs or business experts who can provide guidance on how to start your business on a budget.
What are the registration startup costs for a business?
The cost to register a business can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the type of business you want to start and where you are located.
In general, the costs to register a business can include fees for registering your business with the government, obtaining any necessary licenses or permits, and incorporating your business.
These costs can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, depending on your business and your location.
It is important to carefully research the costs of starting a business in your area before registering your business so that you can plan and budget accordingly.
Is there an age restriction to starting your own business?
There is no specific age at which you can start your own business. The ability to start a business is not determined by age, but rather by an individual’s knowledge, skills, and resources.
Many successful entrepreneurs started their businesses at a young age, while others did not start their own businesses until later in life.
For example, famous TikTokers such as Charli D’Amelio started posting videos when she was only 15 years old!
It is important to remember that starting a business can be a challenging and risky venture, so it is important to carefully consider all of the factors involved before making the decision to start your own business.
Is there a good time to start your own business?
There is no specific “good” time to start your own business. Starting a business is a decision that involves many factors, such as your personal circumstances, your business idea, and the market conditions.
Some people may choose to start a business when they are young, while others may choose to start a business when they are more experienced.
Some people may choose to start a business during an economic downturn, while others may choose to start a business during an economic boom.
Ultimately, the best time to start your own business is when you are ready, and when you have the skills, the resources, and the support to make your business a success.
When should you start your own business?
You should start your own business when you are ready, and when you have the skills, the resources, and the support to make your business a success.
This may involve completing the following steps:
Identify your interests and passions:
The first step in starting your own business is to identify your interests and passions.
This will help you to choose a business idea that you are passionate about and that you enjoy working on.
Identify your skills and abilities:
After identifying your interests and passions, identify your skills and abilities.
This will help you to choose a business idea that you are capable of executing and that you can deliver effectively to your customers.
Identify the needs and challenges of your target market:
After identifying your skills and abilities, identify the needs and challenges of your target market.
This will help you to choose a business idea that addresses a real need or challenge of your potential customers, and that can provide value to them.
Identify the opportunities and trends in your industry:
After identifying the needs and challenges of your target market, identify the opportunities and trends in your industry.
This will help you to choose a business idea that is aligned with the opportunities and trends in your market, and that can capitalize on these opportunities and trends.
Evaluate your business idea:
After identifying the opportunities and trends in your industry, evaluate your business idea. This may involve conducting market research, developing a business plan, or seeking feedback from mentors, investors, or customers.
By following these steps, you can determine when you are ready to start your own business, and you can choose a business idea that is aligned with your interests and passions, your skills and abilities, the needs and challenges of your target market, and the opportunities and trends in your industry.
What are the steps to starting your own business?
Starting a business can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but it also requires careful planning and execution.
Here are the steps you should follow to start a business:
Identify a business idea:
The first step in starting a business is to identify a business idea that is feasible, profitable, and aligned with your skills, interests, and experience.
Consider your passions, talents, and the needs of your target market to come up with a business idea that will be successful.
Conduct market research:
Once you have identified a business idea, conduct market research to assess the feasibility and potential profitability of your idea.
Research your target market, competitors, and industry trends to gain a better understanding of the business environment and to identify potential opportunities and challenges.
Create a business plan:
A business plan is a detailed document that outlines the goals, strategy, and financial projections of your business. Click here to learn how to create a successful business plan.
It is a crucial tool for planning and managing your business, and it is often required by investors and lenders.
Starting a business typically requires some form of financing, whether it is a small personal loan, a large investment from venture capitalists, or something in between.
Determine how much financing you need, and explore your options for obtaining it, such as applying for a loan, crowdfunding, or seeking investment from friends and family. Learn the steps for obtaining financing for your businesses here.
Register your business:
Before you can legally operate your business, you will need to register your business with the appropriate government agencies.
This typically involves choosing a business name, registering with the state or federal government, and obtaining any necessary licenses or permits.
Set up your business infrastructure:
Once your business is registered, you will need to set up the infrastructure necessary to operate it.
This may include renting or purchasing a physical location, hiring employees, purchasing equipment and supplies, and setting up accounting and record-keeping systems.
Launch your business:
Once your business is set up and ready to go, it’s time to launch your business.
By following these steps, you will have been able to create, start and manage your business effectively.
Stay tuned as we will go more in-depth on all of these factors to start up your very first business!
I want to start a business but have no ideas
Starting a business can be exciting, but it can be challenging to come up with a business idea that you are passionate about and that has potential for success. Here are a few tips to help you generate business ideas:
- Identify a problem or need in the market: Look for gaps in the market where there is a need for a solution or a product/service that is missing.
- Consider your skills and interests: Think about what you’re good at, what you enjoy doing, and what you’re passionate about. This can help you come up with ideas for a business that aligns with your strengths and interests.
- Look for inspiration from others: Look at successful businesses in your industry or related industries and see if you can find inspiration from their business models, products, or services.
- Do your research: Research trends in your industry or related industries and look for areas where there is potential for growth and innovation.
- Talk to people: Talk to friends, family, colleagues, and potential customers to get feedback and ideas for your business.
- Consider franchising: If you’re not sure what kind of business to start, consider purchasing a franchise. Franchises offer a proven business model and support from the franchisor.
Remember, starting a business takes hard work, dedication, and passion. Don’t be afraid to take risks, and be prepared to learn from failures and setbacks along the way. Good luck!
What must an entrepreneur assume when starting a business
When starting a business, an entrepreneur must assume a certain amount of risk and uncertainty. Starting a business is never a sure thing, and there are many factors outside of the entrepreneur’s control that can impact the success of the business.
Here are some key assumptions that entrepreneurs must make when starting a business:
- The market exists: The entrepreneur must assume that there is a market for their product or service and that people will be willing to pay for it.
- The product or service will be in demand: The entrepreneur must assume that there will be sufficient demand for their product or service to sustain a profitable business.
- Competition exists: The entrepreneur must assume that there will be competition in the market and that they will need to differentiate themselves in order to succeed.
- The business will require investment: The entrepreneur must assume that they will need to invest time, money, and resources into the business in order to get it off the ground.
- There will be obstacles and setbacks: The entrepreneur must assume that there will be obstacles and setbacks along the way, and that they will need to be flexible and adaptable in order to overcome these challenges.
- Success is not guaranteed: The entrepreneur must assume that success is not guaranteed, and that they may need to pivot or change direction if their initial plans are not working.
By making these assumptions and being prepared for the risks and uncertainties of starting a business, entrepreneurs can increase their chances of success and build a strong foundation for their venture.
Best books on starting a business
There are many great books available that can help you start a business. Here are some popular options:
- “The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses” by Eric Ries – This book teaches you how to launch a business using a lean methodology that emphasizes rapid experimentation and iteration.
- “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change” by Stephen Covey – While not specifically about starting a business, this book provides a strong foundation in personal development and goal-setting, which are crucial skills for entrepreneurs.
- “The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It” by Michael E. Gerber – This book explains why many small businesses fail and provides insights on how to build a successful business that can thrive in the long term.
- “Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action” by Simon Sinek – This book helps you identify the core values and purpose behind your business, which can help you build a strong brand and connect with customers.
- “Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash in on Your Passion” by Gary Vaynerchuk – This book encourages you to build a business around your passion and provides strategies for using social media and other tools to grow your brand and reach.
- “The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future” by Chris Guillebeau – This book provides practical advice and case studies for starting a business on a shoestring budget.
These books offer valuable insights and strategies for starting and growing a successful business.
Are you an entrepreneur? What experiences can you share for new start-ups or people trying to get out of the 9-5 work day and into becoming your own boss?
Comment your questions and experiences below! We would love to hear your insights!
Until next time…