Now that you’ve made the plunge and started getting eyelash extensions, you’re probably never going back!
They look realistic and give you all the confidence you need to go out and face the world.
When it comes time to remove them though, you want to make sure that you do it properly to avoid damaging your eyes or the delicate skin around them.
Keep reading to learn the proper procedures to remove your eyelash extensions at home.
How to remove eyelash extensions at home
It’s not that difficult at all to remove your eyelash extensions at home if you just follow a few simple steps:
- Wash your face-use your normal face washing routine.
- Steam your face to loosen the adhesive of the eyelash glue.
- Warm up some coconut oil in a small bowl (you can also use olive oil).
- Soak the removal pads in the warmed coconut oil (use cotton pads).
- Gently wipe your lash line with the pad to remove the extensions. They should fall off into the cotton pad as you swipe.
What is the easiest way to remove eyelash extensions?
The easiest way to remove eyelash extensions is to start with a clean face, loosen the lashes by holding your face over a bowl or steam, and then use coconut (or olive) oil and cotton pads to gently wipe the lashes off of your face.
How to remove eyelash extensions with vaseline
There are also some people who swear by using vaseline instead of oil to remove their lashes. This method is an approved method as well and can be equally as effective.
- Make sure your hands are clean before starting.
- Dip the cotton swab (Q-tip) into the vaseline to coat the end of it.
- Using the cotton swab as a brush, move it in downward strokes starting at the base of where your natural lashes start.
- This process takes about 3-5 minutes for the lashes to come off.
- After you’ve removed the lashes, use a damp cloth to remove any extra vaseline from around your natural lashes and eyelids.
Be careful when performing this method not to get vaseline in your eye, as it could cause irritation. Watch this YouTube video for a demonstration.
Can you use micellar water to remove eyelash extensions?
You can also use micellar water to remove your eyelash extensions, but it is not the best choice.
Micellar water is a popular makeup remover and often contains a lot of oils that can break down and weaken your lashes.
You can use micellar water to clean your lashes while they are still on.
Do this cleaning by following these steps:
- Dip a cotton swab or eyelash brush in micellar water.
- Brush it in an up-and-down motion over the lashes to remove any makeup from them.
- Follow up with a gentle cleanser that will not sting or leave residue on your lashes.
- Finish by drying your lashes with a towel.
Eyelash extensions before and after
There’s no doubt that eyelash extensions make a world of difference for your eyes.
They can help you to feel confident and sexy without a lot of work.
Don’t believe us? Just check out these before and after images to see the difference!
Before Eyelash Extensions:
After Eyelash Extensions:
See the difference? It’s really amazing! You also might want to check out this video and many others on YouTube to see other amazing examples.
How long does it take for eyelashes to grow back?
So what happens when you’re done with extensions for a while and want to get back to your natural lashes?
You may have noticed that removing your extensions has caused some of your natural lashes to fall out.
Don’t worry, your lashes will grow back.
Be patient though because it can take up to 2 months for them to be back to normal, although you should notice improvement every 3 weeks or so.
How do you treat an allergic reaction to eyelash extensions?
If you’re one of the unfortunate few that has had an allergic reaction to eyelash extensions, treating it like any other minor allergic reaction can help ease the pain.
If your reaction is mild, try these steps:
- Apply a cold compress to the area.
- Use a small amount of over-the-counter cortisone cream to lessen the redness.
- Take a small amount of Benadryl to lessen the symptoms.
However, if your reaction is not mild you will want to make sure that you visit an urgent care center for proper treatment and be sure to remove the lashes.
Will allergic reaction to eyelash extensions go away?
Yes, if you are having a minor reaction to eyelash extensions, you can try the steps above to lessen the reaction and it should go away shortly.
It also doesn’t mean that you need to stop getting eyelash extensions completely.
You can then talk to your lash extension professional to see if they can do anything to avoid it in the future, like using a different adhesive.
Good vs bad eyelash extensions
Make sure that you are getting your extensions done at a reputable salon and that they are using good quality lashes.
Look for lashes made out of natural materials versus synthetic materials and have a consultation with your eyelash artist before getting them applied to make sure you are comfortable with them and their methods.
If you do your work and get good extensions done, you should be thrilled with the results.
Here are some known reasons why people stop getting eyelash extensions
Since eyelash extensions seem like a no-brainer, you may wonder why some people start getting them and then stop.
There are a few reasons that eyelash extensions don’t work for everyone, including:
- People have complained about the bottom half of the eye red after eyelash extensions.
- People have suffered a chemical burn eyelash extensions.
- There are sometimes cases of blepharitis from eyelash extensions.
Here are some known reasons why people continue to get eyelash extensions
If none of these negative things are happening to you, go ahead and go for it!
Many people continue to get eyelash extensions for long periods of time and love them.
Here are my top three reasons for loving eyelash extensions:
- It gives me amazing confidence! Every time I look in the mirror, I see those gorgeous eyes looking right back at me and they look bigger and brighter than ever.
- I definitely look better with no makeup. Now I have the confidence to run out for my morning coffee without swiping some mascara on first.
- When I’m at the beach or the pool, I don’t have to worry about my mascara smudging with the water and sweat, and that’s a definite confidence booster!
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading everything I know about eyelash extensions and how to remove them and you now have the confidence you need to go out and give them a try!
I promise you that they are easy and practically carefree, and you won’t regret it.
Have a comment or question you’d like to share, please post it down below. I love hearing from my readers!
Until next time…