One of the most popular appetizers for fancy events such as weddings, anniversary dinners, or galas is Shrimp Cocktail! This recipe is super simple to make at home and it’s definitely a crowd-pleaser!
So, how do you make cocktail sauce? Well, let’s dive into how you can make your very own cocktail sauce that’ll leave your guest’s wanting the recipe!
What is cocktail sauce?
Cocktail sauce is a tangy and spicy condiment that is typically served with shrimp and other seafood dishes. It is easy to make at home, and only requires a few simple ingredients.
How to make cocktail sauce
Cocktail sauce is super simple to make and only needs a few household spices and ingredients. Below is a classic recipe for how to make shrimp cocktail sauce.
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and black pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve the cocktail sauce with chilled shrimp or other seafood dishes. The sauce can also be used as a dip for vegetables or crackers. These cool retro style small sauce dishes would be perfect for the cocktail sauce!
Note: The amount of horseradish can be adjusted to taste. For a milder sauce, use less horseradish, and for a spicier sauce, use more. The sauce can also be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
How to cook shrimp for shrimp cocktail
Shrimp cocktail is a classic appetizer that is easy to make at home. The key to cooking the perfect shrimp is to not overcook them, as this can cause them to become tough and rubbery.
Here is a simple method for cooking shrimp for shrimp cocktail:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the shrimp to the boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they turn pink and are cooked through. Do not overcook the shrimp or they will become tough.
- Drain the shrimp in a colander and run cold water over them to stop the cooking process and cool them down.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and transfer them to a serving dish. Serve the shrimp with cocktail sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Note: The size of the shrimp will determine the cooking time. Large shrimp may need to cook for an additional minute or two, while small shrimp may be done in less time. It’s important to keep a close eye on the shrimp and remove them from the heat as soon as they are cooked through.
How to make shrimp cocktail
To make shrimp cocktail, you will need cooked and chilled shrimp, cocktail sauce, and a serving dish.
Here is a simple recipe for shrimp cocktail:
- 1 pound of cooked and chilled shrimp
- 1 cup of cocktail sauce
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Arrange the cooked and chilled shrimp in a circular pattern on a serving platter. This crystal serving platter for Shrimp Cocktail is perfect for your next dinner party!
- Pour the cocktail sauce into a small bowl and place it in the center of the platter.
- Garnish the platter with lemon wedges and fresh parsley or cilantro, if desired.
- Serve the shrimp cocktail immediately, with the cocktail sauce for dipping.
Note: The cooked and chilled shrimp can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. The cocktail sauce can also be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
There you have it! Your first home made shrimp cocktail recipe! Let us know how it turned out in the comments! We’d love to hear about it!
Until next time…