We all know that worrisome look you get when you walk into your favorite department store and see all those stringy, triangle bikinis staring at you *cough, cough, Target.
You can only assume one of three things is happening, either summer is upon us, spring break is nearby, or your winter vacation is right around the corner.
And with that being said, for some, the glorious swimsuit season is not the most inviting.
But…why is that? Why can’t we ALL feel good in a swimsuit?
According to Psychology Today, women are more concerned about their appearance because of the way they are evaluated by others. Because of Sports Illustrated and celebrities, like the Kardashians, we feel like we “can’t” wear certain items because of the way our body looks.
But I say, it’s time we delete that from our minds and erase it from society and start wearing whatever the heck we want! Am I right??
Well, that’s easier said than done…
Which brings me to my point in question, “How can you feel confident and look good in a swimsuit?”
In order to feel your best in a swimsuit, you have to learn how to love your body for how it is, but for some, that may be hard to do because it takes a lot of mental and physical work.
So, if you’re looking for a couple of short-term tricks that’ll help you feel more confident and look your best in a swimsuit, check out the ones below.
7 Tricks To Feeling Confident And Looking Your Best In A Swimsuit
*Side Note: Please remember that these are tricks that help to create illusions for the way your body might look in a swimsuit and only work in the short term. In order to become confident in your own skin, you must learn to love your body first. All body types are beautiful and every single person deserves to feel good about their body and what they choose to wear.
1. Choose A Swimsuit That Flatters Your Figure
There are so many posts that tell you what bikini or one-piece swimsuit you should wear depending on your body type. Well, I’ve got everything you need to know about choosing what works for you right here.
If you are wanting to appear slimmer or take attention off of specific parts, consider wearing a suit that has the following:
- Ruching (where fabric gathers on your suit) or draping material for tummy control
- Ruched material can make you appear skinnier in your swimsuit because it hugs and accentuates the narrowest part of your waist.
- Plunging necklines help to distract from your lower half
- Now, we don’t want to go overboard here with those Cardi B Fashion Nova swimsuits (Unless that’s your thing!). We want just enough plunge to help divert the attention.
- Small designs or patterns (like vertical lines or polka dots) can create an illusion of curves or a slimmer figure
- Shapewear (the suit will have an inner liner that helps keep everything more “in place”)
Check out my Pool and Beach Style page for some cute one-piece swimsuits, bikinis, and shapewear suits!
2. Wear Dark Or Color-Blocking Swimsuit Colors
Dark colors such as black or dark blue can give off a silhouette shape. Some might even say that wearing black or darker colors makes you look “skinnier”.
But why does black make you look skinny? According to neuroscientists, wearing the color black makes any subject look smaller because of the way our eyes see light and color. KHOU said, “Our neurons tend to exaggerate the size of light stimuli while seeing the dark for what they are.”
So, in English, that means the color black creates a silhouette shape when you are standing behind or in front of sunlight! It gives you a slimmer figure!
Also, wearing color-blocking colors can help create an illusion. Especially if the swimsuit has smaller patterns or black and white shapes.
Here are some cute color block one piece swimsuits:
The best bikini and swimsuit colors for tan skin are neon color swimsuits, periwinkle (lavender), baby blue, teal, and mint green. These colors will not only accentuate your skin color (especially if you have olive skin like myself), it will also give notice to other features like the color of your teeth (especially if you have white teeth), your eye color, and hair color.
The best swimsuit color for pale skin is dark colors. Stay away from a colorful or bright colored swimsuit or nude color swimsuits.
3. what is the best swimsuit for a big belly? Accessorize Your Suit With A Cover-Up
Cover-ups are key to feeling more confident especially when walking around at the pool or on the beach.
- Wrap/tie cover-ups: These are great for hiding that stubborn belly fat!
- Sheer/mesh or crochet dress
4. how to look skinny in swimsuit – Look Thinner And Feel Sexier With A Golden Tan
Everyone looks better with a tan. There’s no doubt about this and according to Psychology Today, “the primary motives for sunbathing are appearance and well-being.”
In other words, the majority of people tend to tan so that they can enhance their attractiveness. It’s just facts. Many experts say that people who have a bronzed glow, or darker skin, are seen as sexier, healthier, and more confident. There’s really no underlying reasoning behind this…other than socialites portraying that “beauty is bronzed”.
In fact, according to ABC News, back in the day, people who had “bronzed skin” or tanned skin, was seen as someone who was in the working class. People who worked outdoors doing manual labor, etc. But now since factories are a thing, you don’t see tanned skin as a “working class” sign. You see the upper class going on extravagant vacations near the beach in tropical or hot climates. This connotes a wealthier persona.
Okay, enough with the history lesson…
With that being said, instead of risking skin cancer, try out a fake tan! It’s practically the same thing without the deadly side effects.
Jenna’s Self-Tanning Picks: For some, it’s hard to keep that golden bronze year-round from sun exposure but why not “fake it till you make it” with self-tanner!
There are so many people that are starting to use self-tanning products more and more each year because of the risks they see with too much sun exposure. So check out my favorite products below for keeping that bronzed look year-round!
- Golden Star Beauty: Use my discount code JENNAHAITH15 for 15% off!!
- St. Tropez
- Bondi Sands
- Beauty By Earth
- Jergens (for a more natural and gradual glow)
5. Distract People With A Floppy Beach Hat
If you want to up your fashion game this swimsuit season, try wearing a fun beach hat!
The big hat will draw the eyes upward and take some of the attention off of the rest of your body. Plus it helps keep the sun out of your eyes, a win-win if you ask me!
Here are a few of my favorite beach hats – perfect for any swimsuit!
6. Create An Illusion Of Long Legs With Wedges
Ever thought of why supermodels’ legs look so long? Probably because they are wearing 9-inch heels!
Wearing shoes that have a heel will create an illusion of longer legs. Plus, this gives you an excuse to style your beach outfit with some cute wedges!
Check out these super cute beach wedges:
7. how to pose in a swimsuit – Remember That Confidence Is Key
Confidence is big when it comes to swimsuit season. I’d recommend taking into consideration the tips I explained earlier in this article as well as some of these:
- When you plan on strutting outside to the pool or beach, remember to fix your posture. Stand up straight and show them who’s boss!
- Be cautious of what you eat before heading to the water. Some foods can make you feel bloated and sluggish!
- Check out your friends or family members that seem confident in their own skin. Look to them for some advice! Sometimes the best advice is given to you by the people you love!
Jenna’s Pro Tip: Confidence is the key to always looking and feeling your best. No matter what others say, just remember you are the boss of your life and you are beautiful!
I hope these tips have helped you strut your style in confidence this swimsuit season and just remember, these tricks help create illusions for the way your body might look in a swimsuit and only work in the short term.
In order to become confident in your own skin, you must learn to love your body first.
All body types are beautiful and every single person deserves to feel good about their body with whatever they choose to wear.
Now get out there and enjoy the sun – But remember to wear SPF!!!
Until next time…