Even though lash extensions cut down on some of the steps of your beauty routine (no more mascara, yay!), you definitely don’t want to get caught with dirty eyelash extensions.
This fact means that you will still need to perform a few critical things each day to care for your lashes in order to maintain their look and keep them clean.
Don’t worry, it’s not too daunting or difficult.
This post may contain affiliate links and Jenna Haith Lifestyle (JHL) may be compensated for your clicks or purchases from said links. As an Amazon Associate, JHL will earn from qualifying purchases.
Continue reading to learn how to keep your lashes clean and looking their absolute best!
How to care for eyelash extensions
There are certain crucial steps that you need to take in your eyelash extension aftercare routine to keep them looking their best.
Since you’ve made the investment, you want to be sure that you care for them the way that you are instructed by your eyelash stylist.
Here are some of the top DON’Ts and DO’s of eyelash care maintenance.
- DON’T get them wet for the first 2 days because the glue needs time to properly set
- DON’T use oil-based products on or near your lashes, as oil breaks down the lash glue and degrades the lashes
- DON’T use waterproof eye products
- DON’T use mechanical lash curlers or any lash curler on your actual extensions (only use non-mechanical curlers on your own lashes)
- DON’T pick or pull at your lashes
- DON’T use a strong showerhead aimed directly at your face
- DON’T Use a Ton of Eye Cream -especially heavy eye creams
- DON’T rub your eyes
- DO brush your lashes out occasionally
- DO switch to a silk pillowcase -it will do wonders for your hair, skin, and lashes!
Read a bit more about these important steps here.
How to clean eyelash extensions
Along with the other steps to care for your extensions, you need to make sure you clean them adequately as well.
This video shows you the steps to clean your lashes.
Here is an overview of the steps that you should take:
- Use an oil-free makeup remover to remove any other eye makeup that you have on.
- Use an oil-free makeup remover to remove any foundation that you are wearing.
- Gently wet your lashes with water.
- Using a lash cleansing brush, apply a little bit of lash shampoo on each of the lashes.
- Gently rinse off the shampoo from your lashes with water.
- Use a dry and lint-free towel to pat your lashes dry. Remember to pat your lashes very gently!
- Brush out your lashes with a clean lash brush. This step helps to separate the lashes and keeps them looking full.
By following these steps daily, you’ll surely keep your lashes looking in perfect condition until your next fill appointment.
Can you use micellar water to clean eyelash extensions?
Yes, Micellar water is a good eyelash extension cleanser and conditioner.
It is very mild and gentle and does not contain any harsh chemicals.
Just be sure to choose an oil-free formula, as oil-based products can break down your lashes.
It is a good option for people with sensitive eyes.
Check out this video for an easy explanation of how to use micellar water to clean your lashes.
Home remedies to clean eyelash extensions
There are some other home remedies that you can try to clean your eyelash extensions if you prefer not to use or don’t have access to eyelash shampoo or micellar water.
For example, you can always make your own lash shampoo or try one of these options:
DIY Lash Shampoo with Baby Shampoo:
- Put some distilled water with 1TBS of baby shampoo and 1 TBS of baking soda into a foaming pump bottle and shake it to mix together.
Use this product in place of baby shampoo when making your own lash cleanser as directed in step 1. It helps to break down oily makeup and natural oils produced by your body.
Foam Facial Cleansers:
- Dip your cleansing brush into water and then stir it into your foam facial cleanser and apply it to your lashes as using lash shampoo.
- Rinse lashes after cleaning.
Clean Your Lashes in the Shower:
- Soak a microfiber towel in warm water and wring it on your forehead, do not put your lashes directly under the showerhead.
- Apply a lash shampoo to your extensions with your hands and gently rub your lashes with your fingers from root to end.
- Finally, wet and wring the microfiber towel out over your forehead again until the cleaner is rinsed off completely (you may need to repeat several times).
Eyelash extensions before and after
It’s definitely amazing to see the difference that eyelash extension applications can make in the overall look of your eyes.
Classic eyelash extensions can boost your confidence, make your eyes appear wider and brighter, and help you to feel sexy!
Just take a look for yourself at these before and after photos that show what a difference they truly make.
Check out these before and after photos with the full volume dramatic doll eye eyelashes.
Before Eyelash Extensions
Check out these before and after lash extensions with the dramatic volume type eyelashes.
After Eyelash Extensions
Check out these subtle lash minimal classic lash extensions.
Before Eyelash Extensions:
Check out these cat eye classic lash extensions.
After Eyelash Extensions:
These images show some pretty dramatic changes, right?
Need more inspiration? You can also check out some YouTube videos that show some pretty amazing before and after images.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about eyelash extension aftercare and the steps you can take to keep your eyelash extensions looking their best!
Have an idea, comment, or home remedy that you’ve used yourself? I would really love to hear it!
Drop me a comment below and let me know your feedback!
Until next time…
Leave a Reply