Contouring is a makeup technique that involves using darker and lighter shades of makeup to create the illusion of depth and dimension on the face.
Why do people contour their face?
Contouring is a makeup technique that involves using makeup products, such as foundation, bronzer, and highlighter, to enhance or alter the shape of the face.
This post may contain affiliate links and Jenna Haith Lifestyle (JHL) may be compensated for your clicks or purchases from said links. As an Amazon Associate, JHL will earn from qualifying purchases.
People may contour their face for a variety of reasons, including:
- To create the illusion of a more defined jawline or cheekbones: Contouring can help create the illusion of a more defined jawline or cheekbones by using darker shades to create shadows and lighter shades to highlight certain areas of the face.
- To balance out the proportions of the face: Contouring can help balance out the proportions of the face by drawing attention to certain areas and downplaying others. For example, someone with a round face might use contouring to create the illusion of a more elongated face shape.
- To create a more defined look: Some people may use contouring to create a more defined or sculpted look, especially for special occasions or photoshoots.
- For fun or as a creative outlet: Some people may simply enjoy the process of contouring as a form of self-expression or as a creative outlet.
It’s important to note that contouring is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong way to do it.
Everyone’s face is unique, and what works for one person may not work for another.
It’s important to find a contouring technique that works for you and makes you feel comfortable and confident.
By applying contour makeup correctly, you can enhance your natural features, create the appearance of a more defined and chiseled face, and achieve a more polished and professional look.
Is contouring hard to learn?
Contouring can be a bit challenging to learn at first, especially if you are new to makeup or are trying to contour for the first time. However, with practice, it can become easier over time.
Here are a few tips for learning how to contour your face:
- Start with a light hand: When you are first learning how to contour, it can be helpful to start with a light hand. You can always add more product later if you need to, but it can be difficult to remove excess product once it has been applied.
- Use a blending tool: A blending tool, such as a beauty sponge or a brush, can help blend the contour product seamlessly into your skin. This will help create a natural-looking contour rather than a harsh line.
- Practice on your own: It can be helpful to practice contouring on your own before trying it out in public. This will give you a chance to get comfortable with the products and techniques and to see what works best for you.
- Seek out tutorials: There are many tutorials and videos available online that can help you learn how to contour your face. Watching these can be a helpful way to get a sense of the techniques and products used in contouring.
It’s important to remember that everyone’s face is unique and what works for one person may not work for another.
It may take some trial and error to find the right contouring technique for you, but with practice, you can learn how to contour your face effectively.
Steps on how to apply contour
Below are the steps for how to contour makeup.
Prep your skin before applying contour
Before you start applying contour makeup, it’s important to prep your skin.
This means cleansing, toning, and moisturizing your face to create a smooth and even canvas for your makeup.
You should also apply a primer to help your makeup stay in place and to create a smooth, even surface for your contour makeup.
How to prep your skin before applying contour
Prepping your skin before applying contour is an important step in ensuring that your makeup looks smooth and natural.
Here are some tips for prepping your skin before applying contour:
- Cleanse your face: Start by cleansing your face to remove any dirt, oil, or makeup that may be present on your skin. This will help create a clean, smooth canvas for your makeup.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliating your skin can help remove dead skin cells and smooth out rough patches, which can make it easier to apply contour and other makeup products. My go-to exfoliate is the Paulas Choice Skin Perfecting Exfoliant!
- Moisturize: Moisturizing your skin can help create a smooth, hydrated base for your makeup. This is especially important if you have dry or sensitive skin. The elf Skin daily hydration moisturizer is the perfect moisturizer before makeup application.
- Apply a primer: A primer can help create a smooth, even base for your makeup and can help it last longer. Look for a primer that is suitable for your skin type. One of the most popular and cheaper primers out there is the elf putty primer.
- Apply a base foundation: Before applying contour, it can be helpful to apply a base foundation to even out your skin tone. This can help create a more natural-looking contour. An easy foundation brand that has unlimited colors is the Maybelline Fit Me foundation, give it a try!
It’s important to remember to let each product dry or absorb fully before applying the next one.
This will help create a smooth base for your contour and other makeup products.
Choose your contour products
Next, you will need to choose the contour products that you will use.
These typically include a contour powder or cream, a highlighter, and a brush or sponge.
When choosing your contour products, it’s important to consider your skin type, tone, and the overall look that you want to achieve.
Jenna’s Top Pick: My favorite contour stick is the NYX professional makeup wonder stick!!
How to choose your contour makeup products
Choosing the right contour makeup products can help create a natural-looking, defined look.
Here are a few tips for choosing your contour makeup products:
- Consider your skin type: It’s important to choose contour makeup products that are suitable for your skin type. If you have dry or sensitive skin, look for products that are hydrating and gentle. If you have oily skin, look for products that are oil-free or matte.
- Choose the right shade: It’s important to choose a contour shade that is slightly darker than your natural skin tone, but not too dark. A contour shade that is too dark can look unnatural and harsh. The charlotte tilbury contour wand is a great choice.
- Consider the finish: Contour makeup products come in a variety of finishes, such as matte, shimmery, or satin. Consider the finish that you prefer and choose products that match your desired look.
- Test the product: Before purchasing a contour product, it can be helpful to test it out on your skin to see how it looks and feels. This will help you determine if the product is the right one for you.
- Read reviews: Reading reviews from other users can be a helpful way to get an idea of the performance and quality of different contour makeup products.
It’s important to remember that what works for one person may not work for everyone.
It may take some trial and error to find the right contour makeup products for you, but with a little bit of research and experimentation, you can find products that work well for you.
Apply your contour makeup
Once you have your contour products, you can start applying your contour makeup.
To do this, you will need to use a contour brush or sponge to apply the contour powder or cream to the areas of your face that you want to define and sculpt.
These areas typically include the hollows of your cheeks, your temples, your jawline, and the sides of your nose.
You should blend the contour product well to create a natural-looking effect.
Check out this YouTube video on how to contour your face, specifically how to contour a round face:
Apply your highlighter
After you have applied your contour makeup, you can move on to applying your makeup highlighter.
This is a light-colored makeup product that you will apply to the high points of your face, such as your cheekbones, your brow bones, and the bridge of your nose.
The highlighter will create a radiant and glowing effect, and will help to balance out the contour makeup and create a more cohesive and polished look.
Steps on how to apply highlighter on your face
Highlighter is a makeup product that is used to add a luminous, glowing effect to the skin.
Many people have asked the question, where do I put highlighter. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply highlighter on your face:
- Choose a highlighter shade that is suitable for your skin tone: Highlighters come in a variety of shades, ranging from pale pinks to golden tones. Choose a shade that is suitable for your skin tone and will enhance your natural skin color. A popular highlighter choice is the fenty beauty highlighter in shade trophy wife!
- Prep your skin: Before applying highlighter, make sure to cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize, and apply a base foundation if desired. This will help create a smooth, even base for your highlighter.
- Apply highlighter to the high points of your face: Highlighter is typically applied to the high points of the face, such as the tops of the cheekbones, the brow bone, the bridge of the nose, and the Cupid’s bow. Use a small brush, a beauty sponge, or your fingers to apply the highlighter to these areas.
- Blend the highlighter: Use a highlighter blending tool, such as a highlighter brush or a beauty sponge, to blend the highlighter seamlessly into your skin. This will help create a natural-looking glow.
- Build the intensity: You can apply more highlighter for a more intense glow, or use a lighter hand for a more subtle effect. Experiment with different amounts to find the right intensity for you.
It’s important to remember to blend the highlighter well to avoid any harsh lines or streaks.
It can also be helpful to set the highlighter with a setting spray or powder to help it last longer.
Blend the contour out evenly
The key to successful contouring is blending, but how to blend contour?
After you have applied your contour makeup and highlighter, you will need to blend the products well to create a seamless and natural-looking effect.
You can use a blending brush or sponge to do this, and you should blend the products into your skin, using circular and sweeping motions.
Steps on how to blend out contour correctly
Blending contour out evenly is an important step in creating a natural-looking, defined look. Here are some tips for blending contour out evenly:
- Use a blending brush or tool: A blending brush or tool, such as a beauty sponge or a brush, can help blend the contour product seamlessly into your skin. This will help avoid harsh lines and streaks.
- Blend in circular motions: Use circular motions to blend the contour product out evenly. This will help create a more natural-looking blend.
- Blend upwards: When blending contour, it can be helpful to blend upwards towards the hairline and temples to create a more seamless blend.
- Use a light hand: It’s important to use a light hand when blending contour to avoid applying too much product. You can always add more if needed, but it can be difficult to remove excess product once it has been applied.
- Use a setting spray or powder: After blending contour, you can set it with a setting spray or powder to help it last longer and to ensure that it is blended evenly.
It’s important to remember to blend the contour product well to avoid any harsh lines or streaks.
With practice, you can learn how to blend contour out evenly and create a natural-looking, defined look.
Set your makeup with a setting spray or powder
After you have applied and blended your contour makeup and highlighter, you will need to set your makeup to help it stay in place and prevent it from smudging or fading.
To do this, you can use a setting powder or spray to lock your makeup in place. This will also help to reduce shine and create a matte finish.
Steps on how to set your makeup
Setting your makeup is an important step in helping it last longer and maintaining a fresh, polished look throughout the day. Here are some tips for setting your makeup:
- Choose a suitable setting product: There are many different setting products available, including setting sprays, setting powders, and setting creams. Choose a product that is suitable for your skin type and desired finish.
- Apply the setting product to your face: After applying your makeup, hold the setting product about 6-8 inches away from your face and mist it evenly over your skin. If you are using a setting powder or cream, use a brush or sponge to apply it to your face.
- Allow the setting product to dry: Give the setting product a few minutes to dry before continuing with your routine. This will help it set properly and create a lasting hold.
- Touch up as needed: If you notice any areas of your makeup that are starting to fade or crease, you can touch them up with a small amount of product as needed.
It’s important to remember to be gentle when applying setting products and to avoid rubbing or wiping your face too harshly, as this can cause your makeup to smear or rub off.
Touch up and add the finishing touches
After your contour makeup is set, you can touch up any areas that need it and add the finishing touches to your look.
This may involve applying concealer to cover any imperfections, applying blush to add blush color to your cheeks (check out the most popular blushes and how to apply them), and applying lip color or lip gloss (such as the dior lip oil)to complete your look.
Jenna’s Top Pick: My favorite concealer is the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind – it’s only $8.00!
In conclusion, contouring is a makeup technique that involves using darker shades of makeup to create the illusion of depth and dimension on the face.
By following these steps and using the right contour products, you can apply contour makeup correctly and achieve a more defined and polished look.
Until next time…